Thursday, November 9, 2017

I've always hated guns, but why I especially hate guns

I lost my loving in-laws John and Linda on 11/4/15. It was a murder suicide. John was dying quickly from pancreatic cancer, while his wife was living her worst nightmare, which also happened to her mother. She survived a stroke after being resuscitated and ended up in a nursing home. After many months, they were reunited at home briefly. My husband was taking care of them cooking dinner and heard the first gunshot and ran out to the pool (Linda's holy place) to see what it was. He and his sister Susan witnessed his mother Linda being shot and tried to get the gun from his dad John and was shot in the arm in the crossfire. I was at a new job and literally felt this happened. I felt like I had a heart attack. I had 3 sharp pains in my chest/left arm. I had just missed an IM from my husband Scott. He didn't respond. I went outside to call him, which was unusual for me to do at work. He didn't answer. I knew something was wrong, so I left work a little early that day. I was driving up 360 in a dead zone and had missed a call from the Houston fire department. I called them back and they said they had no idea who it was, it could have been anyone. I called his sister Sheila when I got home and told her I thought something had happened to them. I couldn't get a hold of Scott, Susan, John or Linda. Scott is always available via electronics. He is an electrical engineer. I decided to buy some cider and take my dog on a walk to the park. Not too much longer I got a call from my nephew in-law Nate, Susan's son. He said go home, and I'll be there to pick you up. I asked what was wrong. He said shit has gotten really bad and I'll tell you when I get there. I thought the whole family was dead for about an hour. Shortly after I got home, I got a frantic call from his dear sister Sheila. She was hysterical and said my dad lost it and shot Linda, John, Susan and Scott. We thought they were all dead, thanks to the Houston news. Sheila's best friend Rae from Houston saw the news coverage that said 4 shot and killed with a picture of their house. Nate and Emily arrived, and shortly after that I got a call from Susan and Scott, so I knew Scott was alive. I was so fucking happy he was alive that is all I could think about. We drove to Houston and were reunited with Scott, and Susan. Poor Susan witnessed the whole event. However, the 6 months prior to this event were so stressful witnessing the suffering of both John and Linda and the lack of care they were getting from traditional medicine. John and Linda were Catholic. John was a sharpshooter in the navy. He was an engineer and fixer of all things. He decided to fix this situation by taking their lives. They were both shot in the heart with little to no blood or mess. He had done his research and knew he had the support of the church as far as suicide goes. This was truly an act of love. Scott, Sheila, and Susan were risking their lives, families and jobs by traveling back and forth to Houston all the time to care for them and John knew that and I knew that. Caregivers are twice as likely to lose their lives. This was not sustainable. Linda and John were suffering immensely for many months. John's body was turning black from the cancer and his organs were shutting down. Linda was crying all night, shoot me, shoot me. John was up all night coughing and throwing up. They were finally at peace and that's all we choose to focus on. My point to this story is guns are dangerous. He planned to shoot 2 and shot 3. He was very skilled and trained and used specific bullets and did his research and shit still happened he didn't plan for. Scott is fucking lucky to be alive. My dad John "Jack" Roberts died 2 years and 2 days later. He hated guns or would have chosen to take his own life as he mentioned that to me many times over the past year or two. He has suffered so much pain from congestive heart failure and spinal deterioration. I wish I had some enlightening words to share, but I don't.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/assault-weapons-not-protected-second-amendment-federal-appeals-court-rules-n724106

No comments:

Post a Comment